Friday, August 10, 2012

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa


The Iron Daughter is the second book in a 4 book series by Julie Kagawa. The series centers around a girl named Meghan Chase who just found out she has a surprising connection to the faery world. In The Iron Daughter, Meghan is just returning to the unseelie court (the court of the winter fey) as per her promise to Ash, the Winter Prince. Over the course of the first novel, Meghan finds herself falling in love with Ash even though their families are sworn enemies. Romeo and Juliet, anyone? 

The Romeo and Juliet reference brings up and important point to me. The Seelie Court (spring fey) are based on characters from A Midsummer's Night Dream, also by Shakespeare. I guess it's safe to say that Kagawa is a Shakespeare fan. :) Now back to the review:

I had such a love/hate relationship with this book. The first part of this book was so mundane to me. Meghan just whined about her love for Ash, and when she wasn't whining it was all mush. The second half, however, was amazing. The adventure really kicks in and we learn many surprising things about the history of the world of the fey and we see the return of my personal favorite character.

As always, Kagawa's writing was on point. She has such wonderfully vivid languag that I honestly felt like I was stepping into a different world every time I turned on my nook. I love the Iron Fey series and I am very excited to read the next two!

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your review. I've been hearing a lot about this book.
    Thanks for the nice review.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete