Saturday, May 26, 2012

"Fifty Shades" Trilogy











I was shamefully invested in this series until I found out it was written as "Twilight" fan fiction. E.L. James just changed the character's names and took out the supernatural elements. Boo. Now on to the review!

At first, I had a serious "What the actual fuck did I just read?" moment. E.L. James has the worst writing style of any author I've read, but her work is so addicting! I read the entire trilogy in 3 days! I've read numerous reviews on the trilogy and they've been completely split in half; either you love it or you absolutely hate it. I'm not going to go through and give you a basic synopsis of what the books are about because everyone knows the books are all about kinky sex, so instead I'm going to just give you my obnoxious opinion :)

One thing I really didn't like about the series was how the character's used the same phrases OVER AND OVER again. If you were reading these books on an e-reader and you searched "holy fuck" or "kinky fuckery" you would probably get over a million results. Another thing that really bothered me is I hate overly wordy authors. You know, the kind that use big words that they don't necessarily know the meanings of just to sound smart? Well E.L. James is a prime example of a wordy author. It was annoying.

A lot of people are calling this series "trashy" because of the over use of sexual imagery. Yeah, there are a lot of sex scenes but after about the third one they are EXACTLY the same so you can just skim over them and you wont miss anything.

I give these books an okay rating even with all of their flaws because, let's face it, they are damn entertaining. I usually read pretty heavy historical fiction books so this was a proper change. I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a light read that doesn't want the commitment of an average contemporary fiction novel.

I know I gave the first two rave reviews but after I finished the series my opinion greatly changed.

Also, E.L. James, fuckery isn't a word.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read this book but I'm guessing that it's like a Twilight spin off but with sex. Eh, not my type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until I read an article saying it, I didn't realize it was a twilight fan fiction. I mean, there were little similarities here and there but besides that I didn't really catch it at first. These are good guilty pleasure reads, but nothing I would lose sleep over :p

    ReplyDelete